jueves, 6 de marzo de 2014

REPORT SPEECH

Direct speech Indirect speech
Present simple  › Past simple 
She said, "It's cold." She said it was cold.
Present continuous  › Past continuous 
She said, "I'm teaching English online." She said she was teaching English online.
Present perfect simple  › Past perfect simple 
She said, "I've been on the web since 1999." She said she had been on the web since 1999.
Present perfect continuous  › Past perfect continuous 
She said, "I've been teaching English for seven years." She said she had been teaching English for seven years.
Past simple  › Past perfect 
She said, "I taught online yesterday." She said she had taught online yesterday.
Past continuous  › Past perfect continuous 
She said, "I was teaching earlier." She said she had been teaching earlier.
Past perfect  › Past perfect 
She said, "The lesson had already started when he arrived." NO CHANGE - She said the lesson had already started when he arrived.
Past perfect continuous › Past perfect continuous 
She said, "I'd already been teaching for five minutes." NO CHANGE - She said she'd already been teaching for five minutes.
Modal verb forms also sometimes change:
Direct speech Indirect speech
will  › would 
She said, "I'll teach English online tomorrow." She said she would teach English online tomorrow.
can  › could 
She said, "I can teach English online." She said she could teach English online.
must  › had to 
She said, "I must have a computer to teach English online." She said she had to have a computer to teach English online.
shall  › should 
She said, "What shall we learn today?" She asked what we should learn today.
may  › might 
She said, "May I open a new browser?" She asked if she might open a new browser.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario